Saturday, October 28, 2017

X-Zone Broadcast Network - Robert Powell and the SCU*

Robert Powell
This week I spoke to Robert Powell, one of the forces behind a new organization named Scientific Coalition for Ufology (SCU). According to their press release, and to what Powell told me, the mission is to “conduct, promote and encourage rigorous scientific examination of Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (UAP), commonly known as Unidentified Flying Object (UFOs). You can listen to the interview here:


I did ask about the effect that Tom Delonge’s announcement, made not all that long ago about his organization, would have on the SCU. I learned that they had reached out to Delonge’s group but they had also attempted to incorporate others as well including the J. Allen Hynek Center for UFO Studies. Powell said that the emphasis here would be on investigation and the scientific method. That is something that would sometimes get lost by the UFO groups in the past. You can learn about the SCU here:


and here:


Part of our discussion centered around a UFO incident that involved Navy and Marine fighter pilots from the USS Nimitz. It was the same case that one of those associated with DeLonge had mentioned as well. Radar in one of the ships associated with the Nimitz battle group picked up an unknown object and fighters were directed to intercept. The pilots reported seeing something that resembled a “Tic-Tac,” that was maneuvering near the ship. Addition fighters were launched and the object eventually left the area. You can read the details here:


We did, during the interview, discuss the difference between UFO and UAP, a notation that goes back to the 1960s. Powell said that UFO didn’t mean spaceship though that was the way it was interpreted by many. I said that I liked the term “flying saucer,” to mean spaceship. There would be no confusion there.

Next week’s guest: Derek Bartholomaus

Topic: Billy Meier

* Thanks to those folks over at the Anomalist for pointing this out to me. I sometimes do that. In Iraq I sometimes referred to the IED as IUD. Don't know why I do this, but hey, we all make mistakes...

1 comment:

Matt Wiser said...

I have a GF who flies F-15s for the CA ANG; I have asked her what she would do if she had a similar encounter. Her response: "If it was just me up there, I wouldn't tell anyone but you. If I had company-other pilots, we'd probably talk about it, among ourselves-over a few drinks in the Club, and nowhere else."

Makes you wonder how many similar incidents have happened to fighter pilots since Blue Book ended in '69, whether USAF, USN, USMC, or foreign.....