By
happenstance, I came across a YouTube video that claimed an interview with a
woman who had been a surgical nurse in Roswell in 1947. The claim was that
Margaret Ellen Dodd had been tasked with taking pictures of the alien bodies
recovered. She said that she had been told to do this because, as a surgical
nurse, she wouldn’t be upset by the circumstances. It was in 1985 that she told
the story to an Albuquerque UFO researcher. It was the only time she talked
about those events. You can watch the video here, though I do hesitate to
provide the url… this really shouldn’t be rewarded, given the circumstances.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veF9PaZ10wg
Well,
naturally, this caught my attention because in my decades of research, I had
never come across this nurse. I seemed to remember that Tom Carey might have
mentioned a nurse with that or a similar name, so I sent him an email. While I
waited for a response, I made what are the normal checks. She doesn’t appear in
the Yearbook created during the summer of 1947 by Walter Haut. She doesn’t
appear on the morning reports for that year. Anytime there is activity about a
soldier, joining the unit, leaving it, going on leave or returning from leave
or being unavailable for duty, that sort of thing, that soldier’s name, or in
this case, that nurse’s name would appear in the record. Hers did not.
| Tom Carey at the Roswell UFO Museum. |
She
was reported to be a lieutenant. This meant that she wasn’t a civilian that
somehow found herself with that strange assignment… not to mention wondering
why they would want a nurse to take the photographs. There was a complete photo
lab assigned to the base and if they needed a photographer, one of the men
assigned there would have been a better selection. Some of them had even photographed
the graphic remains of aircraft accidents.
I
hadn’t expected a return to my query quite as quickly as it came. Tom wrote
back reporting:
I
just spent an entire morning researching the names cited in your email below
and basically came up empty because: they're all most likely dead; their ages
are/were unknown at any point in time, which would have been a big help in any
search; and the alleged nurse's last name ["Dodd"] I assumed was her
maiden name but could have been her married name? I don't know.
Anyway,
here's what I did find out, which didn't lead me to a touchdown in the end. In
the '47 RAAF yearbook, there is a "Pfc. Willy Dodd" pictured in
"Squadron S," which is composed of all black airmen. Since the
alleged nurse Margaret Ellen Dodd was an officer, I assumed a relationship as
being unlikely.
More
interesting, however, was a listing in my photocopy of the '47 Roswell City
Directory for a "Harry Dodd" whose occupation was given as an
"orderly at Saint Mary's Hospital" in Roswell. Even though I had no
idea of his age, this was interesting enough to spur me to see if I could find
this fellow with my search engine using various age groupings. I also limited
my search engine to search just the states of NM and AZ for this fellow. To cut
to the chase, I could not find a connection of any of the names that resulted
with any combination of the nurse's possible names.
Finally,
I located an "M.E. Heid" in my copy of the 1993/1994 Roswell White
Pages, but according to you[r] email she passed away in 1991 in Tucson, AZ.
That
was basically what I had learned as well. No independent corroboration for this
tale. We are told in the video that the nurse only spoke with the Albuquerque
researcher once and never said anything else about it. According to the video,
she had died in 1991 at the age of 67.
However,
in video, it is claimed that the researcher produced a report but that was
eventually confiscated by the government when he died in 1993, also at 67. He
did make eleven copies of it and sent it out to various UFO researchers. I
wondered why Stan Friedman hadn’t been one of them. Had he had that report,
then his book, written with Don Berliner, would have carried the tale. It did
not.
In
fact, I wondered why none of those researchers ever stepped forward with their
copy. A document like that, created in 1985 before the case blew up in the
1990s would have been very valuable.
There
were other red flags, things that only those of us who had been researching the
case for decades would know. The hospital at the base, in 1947, wasn’t the
fancy brick structure that was created in the 1950s. It was a series of
buildings that housed the various specialties and functions. A nurse who had
been assigned there would have known that.
![]() |
| The last of the original base hospital buildings. The others are long gone. |
Tom
did one other thing. He sent a copy of my email to Tony Bragalia to see what he
could learn. He provided the following information from the content creator,
Contact Redacted, with the important points highlighted by Tony:
I've
always been fascinated by aliens, UFOs, classified reports, and the mysteries
surrounding them, including alleged abduction and contact accounts. On this
channel, we'll examine the evidence and explore what may have been lost,
erased, or kept hidden. Disclaimer: This channel features exploratory
interpretations and speculation about unexplained phenomena, presented
through investigative-style storytelling rather than established fact. The
perspectives and visual representations are dramatized or creatively
constructed for storytelling purposes. Some visuals may be generated, enhanced,
altered, or reconstructed using automated or generative artificial intelligence
tools to create a more immersive viewing experience. The content
presented here should not be considered factual and is intended solely for
commentary and entertainment.
This
then, should end any acceptance of the tale as real. The content creator tells
us that the content should not be considered factual. Apparently, those who
have posted comments to the video didn’t bother to check out his bio and see he
had created three other videos (as of this writing) in a similar vein.
This
should be the end of this. A story told for entertainment but not as a part of
the history of the Roswell case. But then I looked at the comments and was
further appalled by what some of those said. They were treating the story as if
real but adding to it. Glenn Dennis was mentioned several times, but Dennis
invented his connection to the Roswell crash and the story of a missing nurse.
Dennis had said that she had been killed in an aircraft accident that claimed
four other nurses.
![]() |
| Glenn Dennis in the mid-1990s. |
Back
in the early 1990s, both Don Berliner and I searched for evidence of that
aircraft accident. I won’t go into the details because I have reported on them
several times in books, articles and on this blog. There was no evidence of
such a crash.
The
point is that there seem to be many out there who still accept the Dennis tale
as accurate, though the truth has been available for decades. There are those
who tell us who Dennis’s nurse might be, mentioning real nurses who were in
Roswell in 1947, but that hasn’t panned out either. And when Vic Golubic
confronted Dennis about the name of the nurse Dennis had provided (Naomi Self,
or Selff), Dennis then said that wasn’t her real name. Golubic managed to
obtain a roster of some 125,000 nurses who had served in the Army but Naomi
Self didn’t appear on that massive roster.
Back
when Dennis first began telling the tale, told me that he had warned us that he
wasn’t going to give us the real name. But he never said that to me, nor did he
tell those others such as Karl Pflock and Philip Klass. Had Klass had the
information back in the early 1990s, he would have spread the information far
and wide. Now, confronted by the fact that we had actually proved a negative,
that no one by the name Naomi Self had been stationed at Roswell, he changed
the name. For me, the lie about her name
was the straw that broke the camel’s back. In 1997, in The Roswell Report,
I outlined all this, meaning that information has been available for three
decades. The Glenn Dennis lies just will not die.
I’m
stuck in an endless loop of trying to publish accurate information about the
Roswell case, but the false things we have been told and the witnesses who were
less than candid keep popping up. Dennis made up the tale. Now we have Contact
Redacted inventing a new one that is being immediately accepted as real.
Before
I sign off here, just let me say that anyone could have attempted to follow up
on this through sources available on the Internet. Anyone looking at it should
have seen the red flags… witnesses that are dead so they can’t be questioned,
names of people who weren’t in Roswell in 1947, a failure to understand
military protocol, and a failure to produce an alleged taped interview with one
of the witnesses or a copy of that original report that has eleven copies out
there, somewhere.
Sadly,
the easiest way to check this out was to click on the content creator’s name
that would have taken you to his website, where he tells you this is a story
that he invented. That should be the final line in this but Tom and I wanted to
drive a stake through the heart of the tale. I just can’t wait for the next
time someone cites this as important new information when all it does is
obscure the truth.



No comments:
Post a Comment